Holy Trinity Scottish Episcopal Church was built to the design of the renowned Scottish architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson between 1875 and 1878. Anderson was assisted on the project by his apprentice, George Mackie Watson, who also became a well-known Scottish Architect.
The only major alteration to it since completion was the creation of the Memorial Chapel in 1920-21 to the design of Sir Robert Stodart Lorimer, another distinguished Scottish architect, who had once been Anderson's pupil.
The Stirling architect Eric Sinclair Bell also contributed to this project.
The church has been a 'listed' building, as determined by Historic Scotland, since 4 November 1965.
Listed buildings receive legal protection, which applies to both interior and exterior. As a Category 'A', building, Holy Trinity has been judged to be "of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or a fine, little-altered example of some particular period, style or building type."
Holy Trinity admirably fulfils these criteria: it is a fine, little-altered example of the Victorian Gothic Revival style of church building, pioneered in England by William Butterfield and practised in Scotland by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson.
The church is plainly elegant from the outside, being built of stone from the Bannockburn quarries.
Allowance was made for a tower or spire at the west end, but this did not proceed. The existing fleche, or pointed turret, contained a set of tubular bells, which have since been removed.
The interior is lined in banded brick, with round-arched bays and a timber wagon roof. It comprises porch, nave, north and south aisles, vestry, Memorial Chapel, chancel with sanctuary and organ chamber. Above, there is a clerestory with ten windows.
The chancel is raised above the level of the nave by four steps and the altar by three more, thus making the sanctuary the focal point of the whole interior.
To the rear is a detached Church Hall, erected in the 1960s, recently refurbished and insulated, with new heating and lighting and a brand new kitchen with serving hatch.
There are twenty-two stained-glass windows.
Two of these are at the west end of the nave, five each in the north and south aisles, three in the clerestory, one in the Memorial Chapel and six in the chancel.
The remarkable Roll of Honour and collection of wall plaques are also described separately on other pages, complete with details of the people who are commemorated.
While the stewardship of such a fine building, with its aura of worship and reverence, is a source of great satisfaction, it also brings responsibilities, some of which are quite onerous.
Any proposal to alter, extend or demolish a listed building must be granted listed building consent before it can proceed. The building also has to be maintained to a much higher standard than one that is not listed. This means that only skilled contractors using the finest quality materials can be employed in any major project.
For some years, we've had a Restoration Fund, which is devoted to maintaining building and fabric. Having replaced the entire roof at considerable cost and provided a disabled toilet in the Church Hall, we're now moving on to Phase 2 of the restoration, which will include work on our historically significant collection of stained glass windows.
For Phase 2, we're raising funds. If you can give a donation, no matter how small, please contact us.